Tonight I ushered in fall to our home. I made Caramel Corn. This is a great recipe because it is straight forward and the ingredients are on hand. I like recipes that use baking soda, I don’t know the science behind it but it yields a great shiny non-sticky caramel coating. This recipe does not involve the microwave either which makes the house smell great. Also, no candy thermometer needed! It smells like a fall carnival in my house. It’s amazing.
- 1cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla.
- Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Place in two large shallow baking dishes.
- Bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.