This morning was greeted with some grey weather and a day at home. So, yummy breakfast for us! I adapted this recipe from local author and blogger Danielle
Walker. I love the simplicity and health of her recipes and also the creative ways she makes recipes current and has new ideas to the breakfast rut. One of the aspects of a mini-course, make over your mornings is to keep a list on the fridge of your family’s favorite things to have for breakfast. I love having that list and it has been great to have inspiration to make new foods that we all love on a regular basis for breakfast and expanding my 5 usuals. Enter, shirred eggs. The original recipe I’m sure is delicious and has many variations of adding breadcrumbs, cheese or herbs. I merged the 2 ideas and we had breakfast. The kids enjoyed it, they called it ice cream (that perfectly communicates the texture!) it was so creamy and they loved having their own Pioneer Woman ramekins.
- 4 eggs
- 8 pieces of thin sliced ham
- Italian herbs of choice
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375.
- Quickly heat ham slices in a hot pan over medium high heat, it takes less than a minute.
- Transfer to the ramekins and lay it in, overlapping to cover the surface of the dish.
- Crack 1 egg into each dish and add 1 T of milk and garnish with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place ramekins in a cake pan so they don't slide around and sit flat in the oven.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 min, check often they are finished when the whites are set and the yolk is firm but still soft.